Wednesday, September 23, 2009

1 year o racing

As race courses go, the Coopers Rock XC was one of the best I've ever ridden. It had a perfect combination of challenging technical trail and smooth fast stuff. But the quality that really stood out to me was the room to pass. I never felt like there was a section of the race that I was not able to get around another rider. Typically, the WVMBA courses are so tight that I've had to follow behind other guys for miles. Gunnar and crew did a great job planning out the course. (he has been racing longer than I've been alive. so I guess he knows a good course from a bad one at this point)

When Gunnar called me up to the podium to collect my envelope of goodies, he introduced me as being "Not historically a good technical rider." (gasp!) I beg to differ. I am definitely faster on a rock strewn chunky trail than a buff one. I crash more on smooth twisty courses than I do in rock gardens. Furthermore, I have no history. I can't be historically bad at something when I've only been doing it for a year.

On that note, the championship race was 1 year to the day that I started racing.
From mountain cycle
My first race at Bavington 1 year ago. Total and complete mediocrity. I'm pretty sure that the guy in front of me on the redline with spoke cards stomped me at that race.

From mountain cycle

From 2009 Racing Season
Finishing my first WVMBA race at Big Bear. I totally shocked myself with a forth place.


From knobby meats - montana miller
Standing in line at the bike wash at Mountwood. Second race of the season, and I took second.


From 2009 Racing Season
I was fifth at the creek to peak. Somehow I was ok with that.


From 2009 Racing Season
Rolling into the aid station at the Stoopid 50. I learned a lot about the importance of eating and suspension in an endurance race that day. My last race on the rigid fork.


From Drop Box
WV State Champs. The first race on a suspension fork was awful. My worst finish of the year. 7th.


From Drop Box
Rolling along dirty and tired at the Wilderness 101. There's definitely more hundies in my future.


From Drop Box
Cruising down the gnar filled downhill at the Black Bear. I was totally pleased with a 3rd place.



From Drop Box
My first race in a pro bikes jersey at Roaring Run. I woln't discuss this one. Still haven't looked at the results.


From Drop Box
And finally, the end (kind of) of a long season. Finishing the WVMBA series as the 3rd SS. Hopefully I'll improve at the same rate in the next year. That would be cool.