Monday, January 24, 2011

bare feet for white people

Vibram has built the most advanced shoes in history. This combination of abrasion resistant polyamide fabric, Hypalon straps, Chinese sweat shop labor, and antimicrobial microfiber has produced a shoe that feels like a bare foot. They're so sensitive that technical tree climbers can "tune into tree time" while wearing them.

Behold, the culmination of hundreds of years of rubber and textile technologies.


It's amazing. Vibram has managed to charge $85.00 for something that much of the world does out of necessity:

Look at how connected to nature that little barefoot starving kid is.

Sarcasm and the fact that the price of my pseudo-barefeet could probably feed that kid for a year aside, I dig these things. They're neat.

They don't really feel like bare feet. They feel more like a 2mm thick rubber sock. Because that's what they are.

I don't feel more connected to the Earth, nor do I feel all Zen-ey like I do when I "become one with my fixed gear bicycle", but I can feel sticks and rocks and other shit that I step on. I'm not sure why I want to feel all the little pointy things under my feet, but I do. I'll leave it at that.

They are very light and fun to hop around in. I wore them hiking for a few miles when the ground was melted, and they felt good. I tried to run in them a few days ago when the snow was still on the ground, and my feet went numb. So they didn't feel like anything.

Cool shoes. If you're not afraid of looking like a pretentious hippy douche bag, I highly recommend picking some up.

8 comments:

D-Pow said...

Dirty Hippy! I can't wait to drop a bike on your foot while you're wearing them.

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention that you wimped out on that hike because your anti-shoes were hurting your feet too much.

Montana said...

I can't wait to kick you in the nose while I'm wearing them.

Rin Liddel said...

Those things look so funky. If it weren't for the fact that I'm broke I would so buy a pair just to see what it feels like to wear them.

Professor Lori Jakiela said...

As someone who lived in New York for years, the idea of being barefoot -- real or virtually -- in public anywhere just creeps me out. That puddle in the subway, for instance. Not rain water. (Don't get me started on people who wear flip-flops in cities. I mean, really. Really!) I don't think these things will be big in Milan.
Still, it's good you're out there wandering the world in them. Great post!

Montana said...

But foot infections make the city experience so much more authentic

samlikesbikes said...

Don't bring those when you come stay with me.

Montana said...

Why not? Real shoes are probably weird in Boulder